Skip to main content

HEART HEALTH: FORGIVENESS

Hey Ya'll! I missed you; I know I missed posting last week. Hard stop-there's no excuse but I am here this week to provide another key to creating a healthy heart. Yes, it's a heavy topic and I know you're wondering what this has to do with emotional stability. Once you realize that forgiveness is more for you than it is for the other person; you will see the correlation. Forgiveness is another crucial process in creating an emotionally stable life. I must admit; this for most people is not easy or simple. 

First and foremost, if you've never heard it before your feelings and hurts are valid. Period. So many times we are invalidated when we express ourselves to others that instead of the situation becoming better we become bitter. We begin to close ourselves (our heart) off to others because we don't want to feel the compiled pain anymore. I get it; trust me, I do. Let loving yourself be enough reason to forgive. Learn to acknowledge your own pain and the validity of it so then you can begin to move forward. 

One thing that is important to understand is forgiveness is a decision and a process. The reason forgiveness if a process is because we are humans with feelings; we cannot make them go away overnight. But like I said in previous blogs, our feelings are fleeting and can be very deceiving. This is why we must take time to feel and think logically; we must learn the art of empathy and understanding-- for the acused and the acuser (these aren't words...I know).

Understanding forgiveness is far more complicated than I can write in this blog post but I was listen to this women give her testimony and she laid out a great way to start the process of forgiveness. The woman was the author of Forgiving What You Can't Forget, Lysa TerKeurst. She told a story of forgiveness for her husband who had been unfaithful for some time. Lysa began going to a Christian therapist (a topic for another day) who provided a long-term aid/solution for when Lysa found herself feeling hurt and overwhelmed by the pain. The therapist told her that when she found herself feeling uncapable of forgiving all she should say is "I forgive this person (for the fact of how they hurt me) and whatever my feelings will not allow, the blood of Jesus will surely cover." A simple statement yet freeing. Overtime Lysa was able to forgive those little things that would come up unexpectedly and try to take her out emotionally.

I say it is freeing because when we hold onto unforgiveness we are bound and not able to move forward. This is why I said at the beginning forgiveness if more for you then the other person. We can never be emotionally stable and have a healthy heart of we don't forgive. The reason being is if one person says something triggering (another topic for another day) it can send us into a dark spiral. That is not stable. 

Looking at Bible passages on this topic, the majority of them talk about forgiving others like Christ forgave us or forgiving others so Christ can forgive us. Either way it causes a positive chain reaction and the outcome is always in your favor. If it feels like too much and overwhelming, remember it's a process; most forgiveness won't happen overnight. Use that saying mentioned earlier as a first step and allow yourself to feel just don't stay there long. Continue to move forward and heal. I hope this makes sense and helps you to create a more emotionally stable and healthy heart. 

Wish me Love 💗


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JUST DO IT

Fitting title, huh? I know. I am obsessed with Nike. Anyways, this isn't a blog to tell you how much time I spend looking at Nike shoes and clothes this week; it was a lot and it's only Tuesday. It's to tell you that some of the best advice I have been given recently, a good ten times before listening, is just do it . I have hesitated creating this blog because I was worried no one would read it. I was worried no one would be interested in what I have to say. I was worried people would think this is stupid. The crazy thing is, I am right. There will be some who won't read it, others who aren't interested, and those who believe this is just plain stupid. However, it doesn't diminish my work or the significance that this blog could potentially have.  What I am saying is JUST DO IT in spite of those truths. Don't be like me and procrastinate for years. What are you truly scared of and why? It's important you get down to the root of why. Once, the why is kno

WORTH

     This is one of those topics that is so deep and involved that I have been hesitant to even approach it. Just know from jump, this won't be the only blog addressing this. It is always a timely topic because it is a daily struggle for many. What I have realized, for me and many others, is we limit our own worth with our toxic thinking. This can be seen as we compare ourselves to every thing and every one. Worth is a measure of value based on the gravity of a sacrifice.  We will talk more about the ultimate sacrifice committed just for you in a later blog.  Early last year I got tired of feeling worthless. I was allowing the happenings of life to define my worth. I want to let you in on a secret - life will always devalue you when you give it power . For example, in your job you are replaceable; let that sink in. Is that not a light jab to the heart? I mean the first time I heard that I was taken back, succumbed to the fact and placed value in it. I know you're like - uhhh Va

THROUGH THE FIRE

Hey Ya'll! I know it's been a while but I've been going through and I know you have too. Honestly, when I'm going through I always stop doing what helps me. Do you do that? It makes no sense. Anyways, this topic has been on my heart and it was confirmed today that I need to stop procrastinating and just get it written.  Fire. When you think of fire you subconsciously think about the dangerous characteristics. Its hot...like real hot and can be uncontrollable in some situations. We don't like it because we can't control it and that's what I think is the worst characteristic. Now, I'm sure you know where I am going with this but just keep reading.  Have ya'll been going through the fire? What does the fire look like for you? Is it hot, constantly changing, an uncontrollable situation? There's a story in the Bible about 3 men who are thrown into a fire because of their refusal to bow to the king. So the consequence was fire. They had to enter the fi