Skip to main content

DENTS n SCRATCHES

Hey ya'll; I've missed you. And as always doing some in depth self reflections and I've been thinking about something that happened a few months. While in deep thought driving (I do not recommend), a truck pulled up next to me, at a light, and the passenger was hanging out their window to get my attention. I looked around to make sure they were talking and sure enough I was the only option. Anyways, I rolled down my window and the gentleman was telling me that if I pulled over he could look at my door and give me an estimate on how much he could fix it for. 

Let's rewind, my car - a gray Toyota Corolla, was stolen by someone I know and taken for a midnight joyride while highly intoxicated. This person then hit a whale; I'm assuming, because the entirety of the driver's side was dented and scratched. When I tell you I threw their blacked out tails from my house like uncle Phil did to Jazz in the Fresh Prince of Belair, identical scene. I was livid. I can't even explain to you the anger that I felt. It was MY CAR, MY MONEY, AND MY INVESTMENT, and A BETRAYAL OF TRUST! 

Anyways, back to the creepy guy yelling at me hanging out of his window. So, I tell the guy no thanks as he is trying to convince me with a green light and cars honking. I politely roll up my window and continue thinking. Why don't I want it fixed? I won't lie, I would get sick whenever I would look at it because it reminded me of so much shame, guilty and disappointment. Let me explain. The person who did it was a so-called "live in boyfriend." This whole situationship just a BIG NO-NO. So many red flags leading into the relationship but when you're emotionally numb you feel invincible. So, why not erase that memory by fixing the door?

Well, the car wasn't mine. The bank still owned it and I wanted the car to be mine before making any changes. I wanted to take back control and ownership of the things that I had worked so hard to obtain. However, that wasn't the main reason. I wanted to keep it as a reminded to never go back there. There were plenty of times in this situationship that I asked myself "What am I doing? How did I get here?" Listen, when you have no sense of self-love and worth you allow people to rip, shred, and burn boundaries that have kept you safe. The dented doors were my reminder that I am the only one that allows for the dents in my heart. 

One thing I want to point out is even though my car has a dent I still have always been so proud of it; it is so beautiful, why, because it's what I work so hard for. I would be remiss not to think that's how God looks at us. Even with our dents and scratches we are the most beautiful things, why, because he is proud of his creation. He handcrafted us and He is proud of His art. I am learning to be proud of who I am and who I am becoming even with the dents and scratches. So, now that my car is paid off I am looking into fixing the dent in my car but I know since I took the time to heal (pay off) I won't forget this lifelong lesson. Even though I caused the dents in my heart, my heart is not destroyed and has the capacity to heal. my heart is still beautiful and so is yours. Don't beat yourself up for past mistakes and continue to break your own heart. Allow time, hard work and God to heal you and take control back and begin to love yourself as God loves you. 

Wish me love 💜

 

Comments

  1. So beautifully spoken. You are amazing. love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great analogy. Real and transparent. Valuable writing, as always.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

JUST DO IT

Fitting title, huh? I know. I am obsessed with Nike. Anyways, this isn't a blog to tell you how much time I spend looking at Nike shoes and clothes this week; it was a lot and it's only Tuesday. It's to tell you that some of the best advice I have been given recently, a good ten times before listening, is just do it . I have hesitated creating this blog because I was worried no one would read it. I was worried no one would be interested in what I have to say. I was worried people would think this is stupid. The crazy thing is, I am right. There will be some who won't read it, others who aren't interested, and those who believe this is just plain stupid. However, it doesn't diminish my work or the significance that this blog could potentially have.  What I am saying is JUST DO IT in spite of those truths. Don't be like me and procrastinate for years. What are you truly scared of and why? It's important you get down to the root of why. Once, the why is kno

COMFORT

I was reading the Bible chapter, Matthew, and came across a story that intrigued me. I spoke with my dad about it over the phone and feel compelled to write on it. Before telling you the story I hope that we can all agree that our comfort zone is our failure zone. It's a strong statement to make but I believe it to be true. The only time we fail is when we do nothing to move forward and this tends to happen when we are comfortable.  In Matthew 8:28-34 there's a story of Jesus walking through a city called Gadarenes. The city was known to have an area that was violent due to the demon possessed people that attacked anyone that came through. Of course, Jesus felt the need to walk through that specific area. The two men who were possessed approached Him and asked why He was there. There were pig herders in the area and the Bible speaks about the demons begging for Christ to drive them into the pigs. All Jesus said was GO. Now that could preach on its own. He didn't entertain t

THROUGH THE FIRE

Hey Ya'll! I know it's been a while but I've been going through and I know you have too. Honestly, when I'm going through I always stop doing what helps me. Do you do that? It makes no sense. Anyways, this topic has been on my heart and it was confirmed today that I need to stop procrastinating and just get it written.  Fire. When you think of fire you subconsciously think about the dangerous characteristics. Its hot...like real hot and can be uncontrollable in some situations. We don't like it because we can't control it and that's what I think is the worst characteristic. Now, I'm sure you know where I am going with this but just keep reading.  Have ya'll been going through the fire? What does the fire look like for you? Is it hot, constantly changing, an uncontrollable situation? There's a story in the Bible about 3 men who are thrown into a fire because of their refusal to bow to the king. So the consequence was fire. They had to enter the fi